What is Gutka?
Gutka is a preparation of crushed areca nut (also called betel nut), tobacco, catechu, paraffin, slaked lime and sweet or savory flavorings. Gutka is consumed by placing a pinch of it between the gum and cheek and gently sucking and chewing.
Excessive gutkha use can eventually lead to loss of appetite, promote unusual sleep patterns, and loss of concentration along with other tobacco-related problems.
In Gutka/ Tobacco addicted person, wide range of symptoms are found and some of them are given here:
- No control over injecting Gutka/ Tobacco
- Increased pleasantness of the taste of sweets
- Give justification to inject
- Headache, Nausea and Constipation or diarrhea
- Anxiety and depression
- Increased hunger and caloric intake
- Tobacco cravings